You might have decided to commit to a healthier lifestyle in 2017. Maybe last year you gave it a go and pooped out after the first couple of months…or perhaps you actually made small, sustainable changes, and you’re well on your way to establishing better habits.
Either way, at some point this year, trying to be “healthier” might feel more like a chore! Like the times when you know you should make the better choice, but you just don’t want to! It happens. It’s totally normal, and you can get past it. A few favorite strategies for staying committed when motivation begins to lag are the 5 R’s!
· REMEMBER THE REASON: While eating healthier can result in weight loss, it’s really about so much more, from feeling more energetic to managing disease. By going beyond the basic reasons for eating well, we shift into a more meaningful set of motivators. Many of us are compelled to take care of ourselves so that we can take care of our loved ones. By focusing our intention on a compelling reason, motivation becomes more powerful than just looking good on a beach.
· REACH OUT: Surrounding yourself with a group of like-minded people is one of the best ways to stay motivated. Getting your family on board is also a very important step.
· RESULTS: Results don’t always come at once. Make small changes, rather than huge ones at a time. That way momentum starts and can be maintained. The journey is not a straight path. It’s full of bumps and curves and roadblocks. Keep your eye on long term health but celebrate the small victories too. Do you have more energy, clearer skin, looser clothes? Those results count too!
· REWARDS: Yes, reward yourself! Make goals outside the number on the scale, like being able to run for 10 minutes straight without stopping, or drinking 8 glasses of water every day. Each time you accomplish those little goals put a dollar in a REWARDS jar. After a few months use that money to buy a new outfit, or new running shoes, or a massage!
· REALLY GOOD FOOD: Finally, tap into the vast variety of deliciously healthful foods! Make it a game that’s all about having fun with what you put in your mouth! Be adventurous and seek out new foods to try. Seek out new recipes, seasonings and flavor combinations. It can turn into a fun challenge. Sign up for cooking classes and seek out your local farmer’s market.